Sunday my friend (and investor) and I brewed a bitter, after having received 1lb of fuggles and Kent Goldings hops for free (thanks, Erica!)
The recipe called for 12oz of crystal malt and 4.5lbs of light malt extract. We used a touch over a pound of British caramalt and 5lbs of light malt extract.
All went well, except for when I went to take the initial gravity. I was running some experiments with my hydrometer to see if it was working correctly (it was slightly off) when I went to set it down it broke. I realized after the fact that the glass measurement floaty thingey is more fragile than it appears.
So, no initial gravity or final gravity on this one. I pitched the yeast yesterday and it has taken off wonderfully. Looking forward to this one. We’re naming it Buckingham Bitter.
Also, we came across a revelation as far as beer labelling. Putting a label on the side of the beer bottle entails way too much work, as you have to remove the label later. So, at the office supply store I found some 3/4″ round Avery labels that fit perfectly on a bottle cap. With a little help from Photoshop and Word I have some great labels that clean up easy. You just throw them away with the cap!