Well, with all the chaos in the house (me being sick last week, the wife having contractions and sending us into the hospital, and my son barfing all night), I was able to get some bottling done in the midst of this.
Batch number 5 was the weird b@$tard brew that I made by throwing all the ingredients I got from a home beer kit I got from Christmas. I bottled it up last Thursday while feeling horrible. There was so much sediment in it that the bottling hose got clogged several times. I couldn’t find my gelatin to add to it to settle that junk down, so I have 23 bottles of this stuff with massive amounts of sediment. I tasted some- despite the sediment it was just ok, kinda like a real weak amber ale. Once it bottle ferments and is chilled I’ll see how it tastes.
Now, batch 4 was the attempt at making a hefeweisen. Not following a recipe, but following the advice of a friend, we got the ingredients last month, went to brew and realized we’d got the wrong stuff. The extract that was supposed to be 100% wheat was actually 65% wheat and 35% barley. That added to the light malt extract and we had a recipe for an amber type beer with a bit of wheat in it. Also had 4 oz. of Hallertauer hops. I started bottling and poured a sample to taste.
Whoa! It was amazingly interesting! It was similar to a hef, but closer to a bock. It had a light body, darker than a regular hef, but the hops were amazing! Bitter with a great floral and citrus finish. I have a feeling that will be a great beer, unlike anything I’ve ever had.
I’m excited about brewing some more. I’m planning on doing an English bitter, an IPA, a real Hefeweizen, and an oatmeal stout made from steel cut oats. I have to purchase a grain bag and the other goodies I will need, but I’m looking forward to it.